“We had been procrastinating, and this helped us take action.”
“The facilitators and the book did a good job explaining the openness of succession planning in alignment with best practices.”
“The cohort of members, book, and program will help us on our journey going forward.”
In partnership between the Family Business Alliance and the Family Business Consulting Group, this program will help you identify and implement a plan to Succeed at Succession. It is designed to give participants an opportunity to learn from the experiences of others, apply these lessons to their own situations, and create a path forward for the family and the business.
The curriculum for the program will be addressed throughout three sessions, from 8:30am – 12:00pm on the following days:
- Tuesday, February 6th, 2024
- Tuesday, April 16th, 2024, and
- Wednesday, June 5th, 2024
Who should attend
Current and future leaders of your family business enterprise. It is helpful to have both generations attend but not required.
Areas of Focus Include:
- Understanding the roles of owner, board member, and leader and how they relate to each other.
- Creating or updating family vision, values, and expectations for business enterprise performance including growth, risk, profit, and liquidity.
- The value of a Buy/Sell agreement in valuing, gifting, and transacting.
- Effective family and business governance structures and processes.
- Helping the next generation of all ages learn about business in general as well as the family business specifically, discover their interests and prepare for a successful career.
- The challenges of the now generation letting go and the next generation grabbing on and how those challenges can be successfully met.
- Identifying and developing future leadership including family and non-family member.
- The role of owners who are not otherwise involved in the family enterprise.
- Ownership succession and estate planning considerations.
- Confidential small group setting.
- Experiential and interactive member to member learning environment.
- Work with subject matter experts, peers, and family members to untangle key elements of succession planning.
- Understand key transitions in the succession journey by connecting with families at different stages.
- Facilitated by subject matter experts with extensive experience working with family enterprises throughout the United States.
Family Business Alliance members may receive complimentary ticket(s) in accordance with their membership level.
Rob is a senior consultant for The Family Business Consulting Group, helping enterprising families with business ownership and leadership succession, creating and improving family business fiduciary and advisory boards, planning and facilitating family and family council meetings, and guiding strategic planning processes.
Prior to joining FBCG, Rob spent 33 years in multi-generational family business leadership. Initially in brand management at SC Johnson Wax for several years, he went on to become Chairman and CEO and of Sligh Furniture and Clocks, a 4th generation manufacturing and marketing company with a majority-outside board of directors.
He served on more than 20 family business fiduciary or advisory boards and non-profit boards. On many of those, he served as Chairman of the Board and / or Chairman of the Compensation, Finance or Nominating Committee.
Tom Emigh is a consultant with The Family Business Consulting Group, motivated by Mission, Values, and Leadership. Tom believes that excellent organizations, full of empowered leaders, can have a positive impact in our society to help all people grow and learn. Tom’s ability to quickly establish rapport and trust with all members of the business-owning family makes him a thoughtful mentor, coach, and facilitator as he encourages others to understand and reach their full potential.
Tom has extensive experience in working with family businesses, growing and developing multiple generations, guiding succession implementation, developing curricula, and teaching in a variety of contexts. He brings real-world leadership experience, systems thinking, and operational expertise to coaching and consulting relationships in large and small organizations.
For additional information, contact Family Business Alliance.